Ingredients for Crepes:
3/4 cup flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs at room temperature
1 cup milk, warmed
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
Instructions for Making Crepes:
1. In a bowl, stir together the flour and salt.
2. Whisk in eggs, followed by milk and butter, until well combined.
3. Let batter rest 20 minutes or so.
4. Heat a nonstick crepe pan until very hot.
5. Add olive oil and spread it around so it coats the bottom.
6. Ladle about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and swirl it to coat the bottom.
7. Cook until the batter is set and lightly browned. If the crepe is thin enough, you won't have to flip it. If you made it too thick, then good luck flipping it over to cook the other side! :)
8. Place crepe on a dinner plate to cool. After you make the next crepe, place it on a separate dinner plate to cool. (Warm crepes stick together.) By the time you make the 3rd crepe, you can cover the 1st crepe with waxed paper, and place the 2nd crepe on top of the 1st one, and then put the 3rd crepe on the now empty plate to cool. After you make a crepe, put a layer of waxed paper over the stack of cooling crepes, and place the most cooled crepe on the top . I got 5 crepes out of this batter, but it depends on how big your crepe pan is. (The crepes can stay at room temperature for about an hour or so, or you can refrigerate them for later use, but keep the waxed paper between them, or they will crazy glue themselves together.)
Ingredients for Filling:
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup good white wine (not too dry, but something you love the flavor of)
1/4 cup water
1 clove garlic, pressed through a garlic press (or if you don't have one, mince it up really small)
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
7 oz. sliced white button mushrooms (or you could use the whole 8 oz. package of mushrooms if you like extra mushrooms)
4 cups fresh baby spinach
2 - 3 cooked, shredded, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 if you like a little chicken, 3 if you like a lot)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Wondra flour
Instructions for Filling:
1. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Place a 2 inch or so deep skillet on the stove to heat up. Heat the olive oil. Add the chicken. Cook 2 - 3 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken. You don't want to over cook them. Turn the heat off, and cover the skillet with aluminum foil. Let the chicken rest in the skillet off the heat for 5 - 10 minutes while you prep the rest of the filling ingredients. (This lets the chicken re-absorb the juices and cool down a bit.) Whatever you do, don't wash the skillet. We're going to need all the good chicken juices in it!
3. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a small saucepan. Add the garlic after you put it through the garlic press. Heat on low heat and stir. You want the garlic to soften but you don't want it to turn brown (about 3 minutes???) Add the white wine. Stir. Let the wine cook down for about 3 minutes or so.
4. Add a pinch of salt. Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Keep stirring.
5. Add the Wondra flour and whisk it so there are no lumps. Add the water so the sauce isn't too thick. Bring to a simmer/boil. Keep stirring. Cover and turn the heat under the sauce off.
6. Remove the chicken from the skillet and shred it into small pieces using two forks.
7. In the same skillet you cooked the chicken in, add the 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet and melt it all together.
8. Add the onion and mushrooms. Stir and cook until the onions are soft and translucent and the mushrooms look a bit brown and floppy.
9. Add the spinach. Stir until the leaves are wilted and floppy.
10. Add the chicken, and stir in the sauce, just so the chicken is heated through (about 1 - 2 minutes).
11. If you made the crepes ahead of time, place one per plate (without the waxed paper) and heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds each.
12. Fill each crepe with the filling. Roll up or fold into quarters. Serve.