½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
Pinch of salt
1 ½ cups heavy cream (1/2 pint)
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
1 ½ cups cooked, Carolina white rice (or good quality white rice)
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, followed by milk and cream.
2. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
3. In a small bowl, beat eggs, adding in about ½ cup of the hot mixture.
4. Add this back to the saucepan, whisking together over medium heat.
5. Bring mixture to a gentle boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
6. Remove from heat.
7. Stir in vanilla, melted chocolate, and cooked rice.
8. Serve warm or chilled.