Whip up your feta cheese into a smooth, creamy pre-game appetizer with a kick. This is a spicy dip meant to be eaten with something plain, like pita bread cut into wedges, pita chips, or sliced cucumber spears to cool it down. That's right - this is RED hot Greek style done my way! If you are looking for something more exciting than chips and dip, this takes just minutes to make.
4 oz. Greek feta cheese
3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil or grape seed oil (whichever you prefer)
1 large garlic clove (or 2 tiny ones), minced
1/4 cup fresh mint, minced (or 1 Tbsp dried mint), plus a few fresh sprigs for garnish
1 tsp. dried oregano
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 1/2 tsp. dried peperoncini or 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1. Mince the garlic and mint.
2. Juice 1/2 a lemon.
3. Get out your food processor with the cutting blade.
4. Put all ingredients in the food processor.
5. Pulse for about a minute to break up the feta cheese and start the blending process. Scrape down the cheese mixture towards the blades.
6. Run the food processor in the on position for about 1 minute more.
That's it! Scoop it into a serving dish and enjoy!
You can easily double this recipe for a party-size platter.
If the seasonings or garlic are too pungent for you, feel free to adjust them accordingly. Feta cheese is a strong cheese, so I like to lay on the flavor to make a difference I can taste.
You can store this spread in a container in the refrigerator for up to a week.